For a better understanding of marine biodiversity
BISMaL is a data system for biodiversity information, particularly in biogeographic data of marine organisms, constructed by Japan Agency for Marine Earth-Science and Technology (JAMSTEC), and is operated at the Global Oceanographic Data Center (GODAC) of JAMSTEC.
BISMaL provides biological information including photographs, descriptions on morphology/ecology, biogeography, etc. of marine organisms mainly around Japan. Movies taken by manned/unmanned submersibles of JAMSTEC may be found for some deep-sea taxa.
Marine organisms registered to BISMaL are searchable by multiple methods. Scientific names, depth, localities or a combination of them, or search by browsing a taxonomic tree may lead you to each taxon page including detailed information of the taxon.
- [ 2014/02/26 ]
- Due to the system maintenance, BISMaL will be temporary unavailable from 17:00 on February 28 to 17:00 on March 4 (JST), 2014. Sorry for the inconvenience.
- JAMSTEC: Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology
- CEIST: Center for Earth Information Science and Technology
- GODAC: Global Oceanographic Data Center
- Department of Marine Biodiversity Research
- BISMaL Mapper for Marine Species Distribution
- OBIS: Ocean Biogeographic Information System
- CoML: Census of Marine Life