J-OBIS accepts only well quality-controlled data based on the marine biological standard. Submitted data should meet DarwinCore format (DwC) including specific DwC terms designated by the J-OBIS, and the data will be reviewed by the J-OBIS Advisory Board.
J-OBIS do not claim any ownership for the submitted data/dataset(s) . The intellectual property rights of the data/dataset(s) should be attributed to the data provider (the person or organization that submits data/dataset(s) to J-OBIS) . J-OBIS, however, requests the data provider to select one of the Creative Commons licenses (CC-0, CC-BY or CC-BY-NC), and to agree that the data/dataset(s) will be made available under the selected license. Please check OBIS data policy and the following conditions:
- J-OBIS uses BISMaL, a data system developed by JAMSTEC, to collect and publish the data, and also to summit the data to OBIS. Person/organization who will submit data to J-OBIS and OBIS, are required to maintain (upload, correct or delete) their own data in BISMaL on their own responsibility.
- Data providers are strongly recommended to publish their data though BISMaL, submit it to OBIS, and also submit it to Global Biodiversity Information Facility (GBIF) which signed an cooperation agreement with OBIS.
- J-OBIS will continue to archive and publish accepted data, and shar the data with OBIS/GBIF, unless J-OBIS get a request from a data provider.
- If any problems occur in accepted data, J-OBIS may request the data provider to modify or delete the problem data. If the problems are particularly urgent, J-OBIS may withdraw some or all of the data without the prior permission from the data provider. Furthermore, J-OBIS may delete some or all of the problem data after review by the J-OBIS Advisory Board, when J-OBIS cannot contact the data provider.
- J-OBIS requests data providers to notify us beforehand, in case the data will be significantly modified, or deleted.
To submit data/dataset(s), please fill the application form (MS Word file: 48KB) , and send it the following address together with sample data (MS Excel: 14KB) in DarwinCore format (DwC2.0 or DwC1.4) . Aside from the sample data in application, the data that will be submitted and registered to BISMaL and OBIS must be in DwC2.0 format.
Postal address: 224-3 Toyohara, Nago-shi, Okinawa 905-2172, Japan
Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC)
Global Oceanographic Data Center (GODAC)